A lot is happening though, and some things I want to cover soon are:
1) COP15
2) Lindsey Graham as the next Clean Energy Advocate - and my hero, for doing so in the wake of denouncement from his fellow party members. Perfect example of how clean energy is a non-partisan agenda. If he began enacting sound Clean Energy Legislation and ran as a Conservative with this dimension on his agenda, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat....
3) Some flip-flopping on climate issues that is readily taking place in the Senate, climate-deniers in general
4) Why Gore and Kerry are also my heroes, after both narrowly losing the Presidency but still wrestling in Congress to promote/propose/pass Clean Energy legislation.
BUT, none of this will be covered in this post...
What is more important ---I stumbled across brilliance today:

I had certainly seen the commercial before somewhere at somepoint, which is now on youtube, it seemed all too familiar. But what I consciously discovered today was something that made me overjoyed, a beautiful piece of writing (and available free as a .pdf online) that is compelling and confirms what I have had faith in for some time now.
I began this blog with a post sub-titled 'Gen Y Will Save the World.' I had a firm conviction regarding this notion, but was worried that it seemed to exclusive or that it would seem self-serving. After finishing Van Jones' Green Collar Economy, I was even more worried, and debated editing the post in extreme retroactive fashion. (A central part of Van Jones' work is bringing the Green movement out of the 'elitist' realm in which it currently resides, and ensuring it moves into the mainstream or else it will not succeed if it resides solely among the 'eco-elite')
So, a little reserved, but still holding out hope that my Generation was the answer - I stumbled today upon quite possibly one of the most influential texts for young Americans = Gen We - How Millenial Youth are Taking Over America and Changing the World Forever, by Eric Greenberg and Karl Weber.
This sounds a little hostile, but this take-over is a simple numbers game. The offspring of the baby-boom Generation, born from 1978-2000, this mass of approximately 90+ million young Americans, whom Greenberg describes as more globally connected, technologically saavy, and generally open-minded and progressive, are poised to represent an enormous voting bloc in the near future and soon come into positions of power in our nation.
Here is how Greenberg describes these 'Millenials':
"The Millennials are a special generation, potentially the greatest
generation ever. They are not pessimistic or vengeful. Rather, they
are sober in their view of the world. They believe in technology and
know they can innovate themselves out of the mess they are inheriting.
They believe in entrepreneurship and collective action, and that
each person can make a difference. They are about plenitude, and they
reject cruelty. They are spiritual, responsible, tolerant, and in many
ways more mature than their predecessor generations. They reject
punditry and bickering, because they are post-partisan, post-ideological,
and post-political.
Most important, they believe in the greater good and are ready to
dedicate themselves to achieving it."
The words are so forcibly compelling - it echoes what I have felt for some time. Although it can sometimes be bittersweet to find ideas swept up by thinkers before you- that you felt were your own but no longer are (happens a lot in writing)-- in the case of revolutionary change and ideas to better the Earth, and strengthening our nation and the Global community in order to do so, this is a godsend. I could not be more ecstatic. I found the site, starting reading the book, and became hyper emotional. It is reassuring, reaffirming the beliefs of anyone who is dedicating themselves to make positive change, and a testament to the fact that you are not alone, and the Millenias are poised (and will -- whether they want to or not, Greenberg adds) make fundamental changes to the world as we know it in the coming decades. Strength in numbers, 95 million strong.
And so I leave you with an excerpt, from Chapter 1, until I read further:
"Denial Is No Longer an Option
The problems of today will not go away if we just sweep them under the
rug and ignore them. They will only get worse. We cannot rely on those
bound by special interests or protecting their turf to enact great changes
and create a new order of justice and fairness. We need the unjaded
youth, with their energy, optimism, and sense of purpose, to lead the
world out of the mess it is in and toward the full potential of mankind."
And did I mention the text is available online for free. I implore you to read it, especially if you were born after 1978.

RT, I share your ambitions to change this country for the better, which is the main reason why I am studying government. Government is where the fundamental policy changes need to be made to make the largest and most substantial differences. I certainly think a bottom-up approach to all of the problems we face are necessary to achieve change (a la the activism and innovation you seek). But as our country transcends into an era of bigger government, there will be more dependency on the establishment to implement and sponsor agents of these important social, economic and environmental changes. This is what our generation was destined to do: fix the irresponsible decisions and egregious predicaments that previous generations passed along to their children and grandchildren.
ReplyDeletepure wisdom
ReplyDelete